Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Special Surprise For a Milestone Birthday!

Unfortunately for me, a significant part of my family lives out of town in Toronto. This means that we are rarely able to celebrate important family events as a complete cohesive unit! The fact that my mom, my dad and I have different work schedules doesn’t help the situation either – making it difficult for us to get away together to visit the family.

However, with a huge family milestone coming up, my parents were planning a quick weekend trip to Toronto. The milestone? My Grandfather’s 85th Birthday!

Since it was a BIG birthday, my dad and his two sisters in Toronto were planning to throw a party to celebrate the occasion!

One of my aunts had the idea that even though I wouldn’t be able to make the trip, I should make a surprise birthday cake for the event, and send it off with my parents! I was so excited that although I was not able to be there in person, I would be able to contribute one of the most important elements of a birthday party – the cake! Not to mention, my grandparents have been two of my greatest supporters throughout this whole experience, so I knew that having me make the birthday cake would mean so much, not only to me, but to them as well.

Before my grandfather retired, he worked as an engineer at Bell, so although I immediately nixed the idea of a phone cake when my aunt brought it up, I went along with it anyway!

Seeing as my grandfather, grandmother, dad, and aunts were one of the first families to test out the fashionable “Princess” phone, my parents thought it would be fitting that I make an exact replica of the one they used to have in cake form. So I did!









The pink Princess phone – like the one my family used to have! – was vanilla cake with chocolate buttercream frosting. It sits next to an old Bell Telephone book, which is chocolate cake with chocolate buttercream frosting (I come from a long line of chocoholics!). Next to the Bell Telephone book, I placed a fondant message pad with a Happy Birthday message on it, along with a fondant pen!

I was so happy to be able to take part in the family celebration through my custom cake. Even though I wasn’t there physically, my grandfather would know that I love him and that I was thinking about him on his milestone birthday!

1 comment:

  1. He-he! This is amazing. I liked the idea for the cake a lot. I am looking for a nice event venue Atlanta online because it is my grandma’s birthday next week. I want to make it a big celebration and invite all her friends from far away places.

    ReplyDelete