Sunday, January 31, 2010

Doing What I Love

I’ve always known that I wanted to work with food. Ever since I was young, I’ve loved being in the kitchen; whether eating a family dinner, or baking cookies, when I was in the kitchen, I knew that it was the one room that made a house a home. After realizing this, who wouldn’t want to make a career out of spending their days in the heart of a home?

For as long as I can remember, I’ve found so much joy in baking (and eating!) everything from chocolate chip cookies to cheesecake brownies, from lemon cake and banana bread to chocolate malt cupcakes. I knew that my future career lay with baking. From grandma’s classics to dainty delights, I want my baking to help bring people together, whether just for dessert or a big celebration, and most importantly, I want my baking to help people create memories.

Recently, however, I’ve taken my baking to a different level. Instead of simply baking delicious cakes to help celebrate people’s special days, I decided to try my hand at the art that I ultimately want to make into my profession: cake decorating. What better way to show someone you care than to make their favourite cake decorated as something that means so much to them? It’s something that they will always remember.


This is the first cake that I made and decorated with fondant. It was my boyfriend’s father’s birthday and I wanted to do something different and special. Their family LOVES sushi so I figured a special sushi cake would be the perfect way to celebrate. I snuck the cake into the dining room and ushered the family in. They stood there staring at the cake in confusion; they didn’t understand why there was sushi on the table after they had just finished eating sushi for dinner. Once they realized that it was a cake and not leftovers from dinner, they loved it! With this sushi cake, I started my ever growing portfolio of cakes that I’ve made for the people I care most about.

"Cakes by Jess" is my cake decorating adventure so join me on this delicious journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment